Chronic Disease Coalition
Welcome to the Washoe County Chronic Disease Coalition!
The burden of chronic disease in our community is undeniable. Nationwide, chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes cause nearly 70% of all deaths and 75% of all health care costs each year. In Washoe County, seven out of the 10 leading causes of death are a chronic disease, many of which share the same known risk factors of physical inactivity, poor nutrition, and tobacco use.
The Washoe County Chronic Disease Coalition was founded in 2005 and is Northern Nevada's only collaborative of agencies dedicated to the prevention and control of chronic disease. Our mission is to:
- Heighten the community's awareness of chronic diseases and their risk factors;
- Improve the community's access to chronic disease resources, including data, education, and health care services; and
- Promote the healthy lifestyle choices that prevent chronic disease (i.e., healthy eating, active living, and being tobacco free).
Who We Are
The Washoe County Chronic Disease Coalition is a group of diverse agencies that represents all segments of the public health system. Founding members include:
- Government agencies such as the Washoe County Health District and the Nevada State Health Division;
- Chronic disease researchers from the University of Nevada, Reno;
- Providers and payers of health care services for chronic disease prevention and treatment;
- Non-profit and voluntary agencies; and
- Policy-makers concerned about the health of Washoe County residents.
The Washoe County Chronic Disease Coalition's primary activities include:
- Hosting quarterly meetings with networking and presentations on pertinent chronic disease topics;
- Distribution of a monthly electronic newsletter featuring local chronic disease information and member announcements; and,
- Co-sponsorship of the biennial Healthy Living Forum focusing on modifiable risk factors contributing to chronic disease, including poor nutrition, physical inactivity and tobacco use and exposure.
These activities provide members the opportunity to:
- Network and build relationships with other public health professionals and students in our community who are interested in the prevention and control of chronic diseases;
- Stay current on chronic disease related issues and resources in our community;
- Promote and support member agencies' activities;
- Discuss, strategize and take action on legislative happenings; and,
- Continue professional development at events such as the Healthy Living Forum.
Please Join Us
The Washoe County Chronic Disease Coalition meets quarterly. For more information, please contact:
Health Educator Coordinator
Chronic Disease Prevention Program
Tel: (775) 328-6160